Hello Jr. Pit Master!
Do you have what it takes to be the Grand Champion Jr. Pit Master? Well let's get you registered and find out.
There are two categories:
Junior Division Senior Division
8 yrs-12 yrs by 8/31 13 yrs-17 yrs by 8/31
Grand Champion Grand Champion
Reserve Champion Reserve Champion
Pork Chops will be judged on 3 categories:
- Adult (18 yrs or older) supervision is required. One adult per Jr. Cook. Please realize the Jr. Cook is responsible for prepping, seasoning, cooking, and presenting their entry. Guidance from an adult is allowed, but please respect the rules and allow the Jr. Cook to be the Head Cook.
- Jr. Cooks may cook on Charcoal Grills in the Jr. Cook-off Area defined by BBQ Austin.
- The Pork Chops will be handed out at the Jr. Cook-off Area at the Start Time. The Pork Chop will be prepped and cooked in the Jr. Cook-off Area.
- The Pork Chop is not allowed to leave the designated Jr. Cook-off Area, if this occurs the pit will be disqualified. No other Pork Chop is to be present in the Jr. Cook-off Area, other than the Pork Chops provided.
- Pork Chop may not contain decorations, toppings, stuffing, or additional items.
- Sauce must be cooked on; no additional sauce may be added once the pork chop is in the tray. No pooling of sauces or liquids in the turn in tray.
- No garnish is allowed. Only the pork chop is allowed in the box.
- Pork chops may not be marked in any way apart from grill marks.
- Pork Chops may be lightly trimmed before, but not after cooking.
- Pork Chops must be submitted in the provided boxes. The foil provided must stay in the box under the Pork Chop.
- If the Jr. Cook abandons the pit in the Jr. Cook-off Area for any reason, other than a medical emergency or to use the restroom, the Jr. Cook must notify the BBQ Committee member. If at any time the Jr. Cook is not the primary Cook, the pit will be disqualified. If the pit has been abandoned by the Jr. Cook without notifying the BBQ Committee Member the pit may be disqualified.
Jr. Cooker will need to provide:
Cooking Utensils- such as Tongs, spatula, brush etc.
Apron (if you do not want to get your Pit Master apron dirty)
Gloves or Hand Wipes
Table/ TV Tray (small table to set your supplies on)
Additional charcoal, wood chips, etc. after using ALL supplied, if necessary
Items provided by BBQ Austin:
Official BBQ Austin Jr. Pit Master Apron
Jr. PIT MASTER SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Saturday March 7, 2020
10:30 AM Jr Cook Check-in
10:45 AM Jr Cook Meeting - Pork chop and Turn-In tray distributed
12:30 PM Turn-In
Awards to be announced after Judging completed.
For questions regarding Jr. Pit Master Cookoff, contact Margie Petru @512-228-0968 (call or text) or [email protected]